Personal Goal Setting - Why it is important and 3 tips to find the perfect goal for you
September 06, 2019 by Pierre Bouilliez
We all have heard about the importance of setting goals in our lives, yet only a few of us actually do it. You have probably already set a goal to yourself and stopped working on it after a few days. One of the main reasons why many people don’t achieve their goals is because they didn’t pick the right goal for them. Taking the time to set your perfect goal is a very powerful and effective way to achieve success and live a meaningful life.
Why goal setting is important?
Setting goals helps you to see where you are going in your life and a sense of purpose. It also helps you to stay focused to allocate your time and your resources on what you want to achieve. You will also be more confident as you see your progress and recognize your talent in achieving your goals.
A goal properly set is halfway reached.
3 tips to find a personal goal
1. List what you want to achieve in your life
First, create a list of what you want to do in your life (it could also be in 25, 15, 5 years). It shouldn’t be very precise yet, just vague ideas.
To help you get some ideas, try to get some goals within those categories:
- Health: would you like to quit a bad habit regarding your health or get a healthier lifestyle?
- Finance: would you like to save some money or earn more?
- Sport: practice more sport or start a new physical activity?
- Learn: learn to play some music, painting or a new language for your next holidays? Or maybe learn yoga, mindfulnessor meditation to improve your lifestyle?
- Productivity: increase your productivity and do more in less time?
- Purpose: find a purpose for your lifeand make the world a better place?
- Career: set new goals for your career, change job, start a company or get a promotion?
- Travel: do you want to discover the world?
Make this list as exhaustive as possible, write down everything that comes to your mind. What really gets you excited? What would you love to do and become? Your goals are not about what you have but about what you want. Don’t limit yourself, be foolish and define your dream goals.
2. Prioritize your goals and pick the one that makes more sense to you.
Now that you have a nice list of all the goals you want to achieve in your life, let’s prioritize them. Try to focus on 1 or 2 goals at the time and dedicate your energy to them. Focus is important here. Which one is the most important for you? How do you feel accomplishing them?
Rank your goals to how important they are for you? how much fun is it? how excited you are to accomplish that goal? how difficult is it? How fast can I do it? Share in the comments which criteria you prefer.
Hopefully, with that ranking, one goal will come up from your list.
3. Look for mentors who can help you pick the right goal with you and guide you.
Not sure if you have picked the right goal for you? The best way to know it is to ask someone who was in the same situation. You can contact a coach or a mentor that can help you ask yourself the right questions and guide you to find the perfect goal for you.
Later, that coach or mentor can also get you accountable and help you to accomplish your goal.
Now that you have found your perfect goal, how to start?
Guess what? We are building the perfect app to make your goals a reality. You can’t wait to have the new version of the app? Join us already on our app Uloo.me (available for free on iOSand Android) and make sure to update it regularly to have the latest version.